Pages

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Triangulating

IMG_7206

While I am on my sewing hiatus, I've been planning and scheming all the projects I'd like to do this year. I think this year is going to be the Year of the Triangle for me. Hundreds of HSTs figure prominently in a lot the projects. Thankfully, I have my trusty Big Shot and several different HST dies. I think that in the past, the idea if piecing a bunch of HSTs and having to trim them down and clip all the dog ears kind of turned me off. But since I have efficiently trimmed my 680 HSTs from the last post, I am rarin' to go!

IMG_7210

For this WIP, I cut 170 isosceles triangles using the Wonder Triangles Quilt Sense ruler about a year ago. The ruler also comes with a half triangle ruler to make the triangle into a square block. I used it to cut the ends of the rows. I wanted to make the quilt 13 full triangles across and 14 full triangles down, so I needed to cut a few more. Most of the prints are florals from the Heirloom line by Joel Dewberry, but I added in some text and geometrical prints. These are the fabrics I pulled (the text print at the bottom right was part of the original group of triangles) for the additional triangles:

IMG_7207

I initially bought the orange and aqua print in the bottom row to add. But once I saw it with the rest of the set, it didn't quite seem to go. The aquas weren't the right shade, either, so I ended up going with these two from Lucy's Crab Shack:

IMG_7209

So, here's an example of the mix - before and after:

IMG_7204

I was a little worried that the new triangles wouldn't work with the original mix, but I like them. There is a lot of variation in the oranges, so the new prints fit right in. The Whimsy text print doesn't totally go, but I didn't cut too many and I think it will help keep the eye moving in the sea of aqua, orange, and yellow. I love how it's coming together and I can't wait to do a little bit of piecing on it!

IMG_7205

I'm linking up to Lee's WIP Wednesday over at Freshly Pieced for the first time! Mostly, I'm a lurker and have just read about other people's WIP but now I'm joining in!

4 comments:

mrs.hands said...

The color scheme is awesome!

tropicslady said...

Very nice color combinations. And.....triangles are my favorite types of quilts!

Deb in Florida
www.tropicslady.com

Cheryl said...

I love the aqua and orange prints together, what a fun combination!

Gina said...

Welcome to WIP Wednesdays!! it is fun to lurk and participate!! i think your new prints mix in nicely and all the different shades of color add depth. I love your color combo!!